Romance Writers of Australia Inc formed in 1991 to promote romance writing in Australia and to help aspiring authors achieve publishing success.
Although the organisation began with only eight members, it now supports over 1000 members and our membership includes writers from Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, the United States and the United Kingdom. RWA has become internationally recognised and respected by both category and mainstream publishers of romance.
RWA’s mission today is the same as it was back in 1991 – to promote excellence in romantic fiction, to help aspiring writers become published and published authors to maintain and establish their careers, and to provide continuing support for romance writers – whatever their genre – within the romance publishing industry.
Benefits of membership include:
- Writing and Critique – join a writing group in your area or online, find a critique partner, or the Individual Writers Support scheme.
- Contests – enter yearly writing contests designed to motivate and assist in your writing development.
- Annual Conference and Professional Development – join our annual romance writers’ conference and other professional development opportunities such as online courses. Members also enjoy a discount.
- Hearts Talk – receive our monthly journal, packed full of craft and industry know-how.
- Community – join over 1000 authors to discuss everything related to writing, from genre to craft, publishing to marketing.
- Ruby Award – enter Australia’s prestigious Romantic Book of the Year award for published works (at the discounted rate).
- And more…
Membership is open to individuals who support and adhere to the purposes of RWA, and who have attained the age of majority in the state in which they reside.
Don’t take our word for it. See what RWA members have to say about our organisation.
Joining RWA in 2002 was the single best thing I did as a wannabe romance writer. I attended my first conference the same year and was immediately exposed to a brain expanding wealth of information, support and friendship which resulted in my first sale to Avalon Books in 2006.
Why join the Romance Writers of Australia? Well, apart from the obvious – that the RWA offers the most fantastic support to all its members which includes up-to-date industry info, a network of wonderful writers – both published and yet-to-be-published – annual conferences which international authors and NY agents attend (not to mention the fabulous Romance Roadshow which this year travelled to Perth and Adelaide) – where else will I find people who won’t either give me freaky looks or attempt to lock me up when I tell them how much I enjoy being the goddess-of-my-own-universe?
RWA has given me a circle of support; a group of people who are likewise minded and willing to share all their knowledge, ups and downs as we all travel the path to publication and beyond.