The Romantic Book of the Year Award, or Ruby, is our premier award and the only one of its kind in Australia. Judged by Australian readers and writers, this contest is open each year to any Australian or New Zealand author who has published a romance or romantic elements book.
The sections are: Long Romance (65K+), Short Romance (40K-65K), Romantic Elements (40K+) and Romance Novella (10K-40K).
This competition has both digital (ebook) and print entries. If you are a reader of romance and would like to be a judge for this competition, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Last years and previous winners can be seen here.
The Ruby 2018 is for romantic novels (40K+) and novellas (10K–40K), written by Australian or New Zealand authors, which were first published (in digital or print) between 1 January 2017 and 31 December 2017.
Opens: 15 December 2017
Closes: 15 January 2018. Or, once we reach 300 entries.
Sections: Long Romance, Short Romance, Romance Novella, Romantic Elements.
Entry fees: $55 (RWA members) $165 (non-member)
Final round judges:
- Joel Naoum – Director Critical Mass Consulting (and former Publisher at Momentum)
- Trudi Sommers – Journalist and Freelance Writer
- Debbie Lee – Manager Content Acquisition Lightning Source Australia
A Ruby will be awarded for the highest scoring book in each section. For 2018, we are also awarding an overall ‘Romantic Book of the Year’, to be selected from our finalists by a panel of expert industry judges.
Entry limits: 3 entries per person (that means per human being, not per pseudonym).
Before entering, please read the 2018 Ruby rules/conditions for information on choosing the correct section, the entry process and entry fees.
All entrants will be entering the Ruby online:
- If your book has a digital (ebook) edition, submit digital files with your online entry form. You will need .epub, .mobi (Kindle) and/or .pdf files. Please upload as many of these formats as you have available.
- If your book doesn’t have a digital edition (or the digital edition cannot be uploaded), you can submit print copies by post – but still fill out the entry form online.
All entrants are required to judge 1 or 2 books. See the Ruby rules for details – entrants will receive instructions on judging once the contest is under way. It’s easy and fun!
Entries are now open. Questions? Contact the contest coordinator, Sarma Burdeu: email@example.com
ENTER THE RUBY NOW